A Framework for Understanding Poverty
This newly updated workshop gives you in-depth information to help you understand class differences and 10 actions you can implement the next day in the classroom to achieve impact. This workshop is based on the book A Framework for Understanding Poverty by Ruby K. Payne, Ph.D.
After participating in this workshop, your teachers will: Leave the training with concrete actions that can be implemented easily the next day in their classroom or building.
- Better understand how economic class affects behaviors and mindsets.
- Develop stronger relationships with their students to impact behavior and achievement.
- Identify several key instructional strategies that meet the needs of the under-resourced learner.
- Understand the hidden rules of economic classes and how they apply to their classrooms.
- Reduce their discipline referrals.
- Use concrete strategies that impact the achievement of students from poverty.
Topics include: resources, relationships, hidden rules, mental models, family structure, updated case studies, family dynamics, your personal experience with class, the role of language registers, discourse patterns and story structure, and the importance of relationships.
Audience: Designed for elementary and secondary schools of any size, with adaptation and application for community, social service, and faith community.
Audience Size: No limit to number of participants.
Needs/issues/problems addressed in this workshop:
- Achievement gap
- Understanding differences
- Economic class behaviors and mindsets
- Full-day workshop
- Two 1/2-day workshops
- Overview (2-4 hours)
Leading Consultants who specialize in the topic A Framework for Understanding Poverty:
Dr. Ruby Payne http://www.lecturemgt.com/ruby-payne
Beverly Ray http://www.lecturemgt.com/beverly-ray
Dr. Bethanie Hamlett Tucker http://www.lecturemgt.com/bethanie-tucker
Jim Littlejohn http://www.lecturemgt.com/jim-littlejohn
Patti Albright http://www.lecturemgt.com/patti-albright
Terie Dreussi-Smith http://www.lecturemgt.com/terie-smith
Jodi Pfarr http://www.lecturemgt.com/jodi-pfarr